After reading Daisy Miller I decided to expose my opinion about it answering the following questions:
1. Is Daisy Miller a tourist or a traveler? Explain
your definition of these terms and select 2 quotes to support your answer. How
do these quote support your analysis?
I
think Daisy Miller is a character hard to identify as tourist or traveler,
because she is kind of a pretty changeable person. Despite that, I consider
Daisy Miller as a tourist. For me, a traveler is a person who immerses
himself/herself in the local culture and tries to explore what the country
really is, not only the major cities or the popular ones. On the other hand, a
tourist is a person who tends to stay in his/her comfort zone; he/she speaks
his/her first language instead of trying to learn the local language and he/she
doesn’t care about interacting with local culture and people.
"Are
you—a—going over the Simplon?" Winterbourne pursued, a little embarrassed.
"I don't
know," she said. "I suppose it's some mountain. Randolph, what
mountain are we going over?"
This quote is from the first part of
the book, when Winterbourne is talking with Daisy and Randolph and he asked
about the place they were going to visit. Daisy Miller’s answer made me think
about her as a tourist, because she didn’t even know the name of the place she
was going to and she didn’t care about knowing what the name was. Another quote
I found and I think it may support my idea of Daisy Miller as a tourist, is
this one:
“I told her I
had never been in so many hotels in my life as since I came to Europe. I have
never seen so many—it's nothing but hotels.”
This is Daisy Miller’s answer when
Miss Featherstone asked her about the hotels in America. In my opinion a hotel
doesn’t represent how a local house is or how a culture is, so when someone is
staying in a hotel I don’t think is interacting with the local culture of the
place. These quotes helped me identify Daisy Miller as a tourist, because she
showed herself as a girl who just wanted to have fun during her stays.
2. Locate 3 incidences of Othering between the
characters. Explain each.
“He immediately
perceived, from her tone, that Miss Daisy Miller's place in the social scale
was low. "I am afraid you don't approve of them," he said.
"They are very common," Mrs. Costello
declared. "They are the sort of Americans that one does one's duty by
not—not accepting."”
This
quote is from the conversation of Winterbourne and Mrs. Costello, when they
were talking about Daisy Miller. I think this quote is a good example of
othering, because we can see how Mrs. Costello judged Daisy Miller. Mrs.
Costello considers Daisy “very common” and because of that she thinks Daisy is
from low social scale. This is an example of othering because one person is
judging other person based in appearances and her perception.
"Oh,
blazes; it's har-r-d!" he exclaimed, pronouncing the adjective in a
peculiar manner.
Winterbourne had immediately perceived that he might
have the honor of claiming him as a fellow countryman.”
I think this quote is kind of
neutral othering, because despite it is a stereotype, it is not a bad one. In
this part of the book Winterbourne is talking with Randolph, when he hears him
pronouncing a word in a particular way. Winterbourne thought Randolph was an
American boy just because the way he pronounced one word. Despite I don’t think
it is bad, I think it is anyways a way of othering, because I don’t think to
categorize someone according the way he/she pronounces always works.
“Winterbourne looked along the path and saw a
beautiful young lady advancing. "American girls are the best girls,"
he said cheerfully to his young companion.”
This
quote is from Winterbourne and Randolph’s conversation, when Winterbourne looks
at Daisy Miller and describes her as a beautiful young lady. I think this part
is an example of othering, because Winterbourne generalizes all the American
ladies based on Daisy Miller. In my opinion, he generalized how American girls
are referring to their physical beauty; therefore I think he made a very
extreme conclusion of a very subjective theme.
3. Analyze how the characters' perspective is shaped by
the society found in the novels. Use examples from the novel to explain your
points.
In my
opinion this novel portrays three principal ways of think: American, European
and American/European. The American way of think represent by Daisy Miller, the
European by Mrs. Walker and the American/ European by Winterbourne. In the
novel Daisy Miller is presented as an open minded beautiful young girl, while
Mrs. Walker is the type of person with a more conservative way of think. At the
first part of the novel Daisy Miller talked to Winterbourne about the Chateau de
Chillon, when she accepted to visit it with Winterbourne. “She didn't rise,
blushing, as a young girl at Geneva would have done…”, this is the way in which
Daisy Miller is described, when she ask Winterbourne to go to Chateau de
Chillon with her. With this comparison, I think is demonstrated the freer way
of think of American girls, represented by Daisy Miller. On the other hand, we
can see how Mrs. Walker considers Daisy Miller’s behave as an incorrect one. "It
is really too dreadful… That girl must not do this sort of thing. She must not
walk here with you two men. Fifty people have noticed her." This was the
reaction of Mrs. Walker when she saw Daisy Miller walking with Winterbourne and
Mr. Giovanelli. I think this reaction demonstrate the conservative way of think
of European people, in this case Mrs. Walker, toward a situation that for an
American person is kind a normal behave. However, who I think is the most
interesting character in this novel is Winterbourne, because during the novel
he is in an “in between” position. For me, his way of think is in he middle of
both extremes ways of think, Daisy Miller and Mrs. Walker. This “in between” way
of think, I think could be a characteristic of his hybridity of cultures
(American and European). Through the novel, Winterbourne doesn’t know if Daisy
Miller’s behave is consequence of her “innocent” or her “free spirit”. I think
this Winterbourne debate about Daisy Miller’s behave, is because the “fight”
between his both positions, American and European way of think.
This is a picture of Le Chateu de Chillon (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

As I said to Erika earlier, we define what being a tourist and a traveler very similar, maybe it was because of all the discussions we had on our group. Nice picture and great quotes!
ReplyDeleteI see that you were very deep in your analysis of Daisy Miller.. By reading this post I got to understand some aspects I haven't seen before..
ReplyDelete