To talk about helping has always been a dilemma,
because there is a thin line between helping
and cheating, and sometimes this line
is inconspicuous. In the book “DOWN ON THE ISLAND,” Jim Cooper talks about how
he faced this conflict during his stay in Puerto Rico as an English professor
at El Colegio. Cooper mentions that what help and/or cheating means for a
person is influenced in a great part by his/her cultural background and because
of that, it is almost impossible to define which is correct or incorrect. While
he was teaching he noticed Puerto Rican students constantly cheated in their
tests no matter the grade level, because they thought that they were helping
each other and not cheating. The reason was that this behavior is, not only allowed
by the professors, but also, encouraged by them when they ask some students to
teach the others academic skills. So the question is: Should a professor punish
a student who is doing something that was taught to him/her? Professor Jim
Cooper tries to answer this question throughout the chapter titled “Helping”
but apparently, cannot answer it completely, because each situation, country
and culture is different and so must be analyzed differently.
When
Cooper talks about his teaching experiences in Puerto Rico, he contrasts American
and Puerto Rican’s way of thinking about how people see education, which he
considers one of the factors for why Puerto Rican students cheat. He thinks
Americans have a more competitive behavior in the educational context than Puerto
Ricans do, and explains that Puerto Rican students are more cooperative which
cause them to cheat more. An interesting anecdote of Cooper that could
represent this behavior is when he asked a student why he let other students
look in his paper and the student answered that it was because “I’m just trying
to help him. He is my friend (80).” This provides evidence that the student did
not really know what cheating really means. Rather, he knows cheating is not
correct, but for him his was not cheating, but helping. Actually, Cooper makes
a distinction saying: “A Puerto Rican student will let his neighbor look at his
test paper because he wants to help him get a good grade. An American student
will hide his paper from his neighbor because he is only interested in getting
a good grade himself… (81)” The point in all this is that it is hard for some
people to know the difference between cheating and helping because they have never
really been taught what it is. I am a Puerto Rican student; I know the
difference between cheating, helping and competing, and I think the best way to
avoid people cheating is by teaching them to being cooperative whit each other,
but also competitive. I think a student can be both, i.e., he can help another
student but should be aware aware that in the future they probably are going to
compete for the same job. With this information I am pretty sure they will know
the difference between helping and cheating.
Jim
Cooper in the chapter “Helping” talks about, what I think is one of the biggest
problems Puerto Rican educational system has: When helping becomes cheating?
Although, Cooper makes a strong critique about Puerto Rican educational system,
what I really think is that the real point about this is the helping and
cheating definition, and about what is correct or incorrect. And he makes question
that if our cultural background influences the boundary between helping and
cheating can we define what the terms really means? Is it helping correct or
incorrect? Who decides what is correct or incorrect? My answer is the same as
Jim Cooper’s when a teacher asked him about why cheating is wrong if a student
learns more doing it than listening him:

I laugh a lot with that topic "Chea-lping". That was very Puerto Rican from you because we always mix everything up, making new words and stuff like that. Great picture, I like The Simpsons. And as you said, it is very important to understand the difference between helping and cheating before talking about which is good and which is bad.
ReplyDeletejajajaj I totally agree with Antonio, nice picture and nice discussion! ;)
ReplyDelete