Yesterday I had
the opportunity to see The Rum Diary, a movie about how Paul Kemp, an author,
gets a job in a newspaper in Puerto Rico and his experience during his stay on
the island. Kemp faces one of the greatest problems most journalists face: to write
about what sees that is happening in the island versus writing what the
newspaper wants him to write about what is happening.
At
the beginning of this movie, Puerto Rico is presented as a paradise, with a
sunny day, a beautiful beach and an amazing hotel, in other words, as an
incredible place for tourism and pleasure. I am aware that this is the way many
people see Puerto Rico and also is how many tourism agencies present our
island. However, what I really like about this movie is that it portrays not
only the good things about Puerto Rico, but also the bad, dirty and negative
things about our island, such as alcohol, sex, money and violence. And I
totally agree with the movie, because that is what Puerto Rico is: a mixture of
paradise and problems, richness and poverty, sun and rain, good and bad people
and things. These are the things that Paul Kemp tries to portray in the
newspaper, how Puerto Rico really is, even when the chief editor doesn’t
want him to do it. I think that the main reason why outsider people
stereotype Puerto Rico and see it as a perfect place to have fun, sex and get
drunk, is because most local media and social networks present our island in an
erratic way to the world.
I think this photo is a good portrayal about how Puerto Rico is portrayed around the world: as one of the biggest alcohol producers and consumers.
I
really think it is up to us to change that, is our decision to change the way
people see Puerto Rico or let them keep thinking that our country is only a
“country of pleasure”.

Yes, I like your take charge of your own identity approach, Kerwin. The movie does show the good and bad but also it shows a particular view of contemporary history. Great visual. Did you post a credit link? (Ask me about that in class.)
ReplyDeleteI liked the way you describe Puerto Rico when you say that it is: "a mixture of paradise and problems, richness and poverty, sun and rain, good and bad people and things..." I believe that it reflects the reason why it is so difficult to stereotype Puerto Ricans. By the other hand, I believe that the movie empathizes more the aspect of Puerto Ricans being very messy and problematic.
ReplyDeleteYou said it on that last sentence before the pic! Puerto Rico is to others what tourism agencies present to other countries. If one of this agency wants to on purpose damage a country's reputation basically they can. Maybe not in purpose but I think that this is what its happening right now with our country. Many Americans think that we spend all the day at the beach drinking alcohol as if we don't have to work or do other things but that is because that is the image from us that it is presented to them. That is something that we will need to learn to manage if we want to get better our country.
ReplyDeleteWow! I couldn't have said better myself! Your reflection about this movie is exactly what I think. This movie is representation of a the true reality, most of us, unfortunately, don't want to see. But, like you said, it is good to know and appreciate these things about our island and it is definitely, up to us to change it! P.S. you do excellent analysis on movies! Like Antonio said, I will ask you for movie recommendations! hahaha
ReplyDeleteAt first I was really uncomfortable watching the way the movie portrayed the island, but then I figured that we are not perfect. As you said, we are a mixture of good and bad things and maybe it would be god to embrace, not only the good things, but also those not so good things that make up who we are.
ReplyDelete