Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Room with a View


After watching the movie “A room with a view”, I have to say that it is an excellent movie, with a great casting, beautiful landscapes and an amazing plot. “A room with a view” is a movie, based on the same name E.M. Forster's novel, which relates the romantic story of Lucy Honeychurch and George Emerson. The interesting thing of this movie is how the experiences, the way of thinking of the characters and the decisions that they make, influence their position as traveler and/or tourist, and vice versa.
At the beginning of the movie, my first thought about Lucy and George was that they were a tourist and a traveler, respectively. To me, a tourist is a person who travels to some place to have fun, to visit famous places and enjoys his/her stay in that place, without any interest in knowing place history or culture. I first perceived Lucy as a tourist, because of two things: she said “I am tourist” and she didn’t demonstrate interest for learning something about Florence, the place she visited. On the other hand, I think a traveler is a person who, more than visiting a place in order to have fun, wants to know the place, its history, culture, language and people, and wants to feel part of the place he/she is visiting. I consider George as a traveler, because during his stay at the pension in Florence he tried to be part of the place and interacted with the people. I found interesting when George changes room with Lucy and Charlotte, and he goes back to flip the painting because the part of it that was facing to the front was a drawing he had made. That made me think George wanted to feel as if he was home, to feel part of the place he was staying in.
However, at the end of the movie, Lucy and George went back as a couple to the pension in Florence, so we can notice how, after all, this place had a real meaning to Lucy. I think all the experiences Lucy had through the movie, such as meeting George, traveling to Florence and being engaged with Cecil, changed her way of seeing life and transformed her from tourist to traveler. 
        Here is the "A Room with a View" trailer with few of the most interesting parts of the movie.

4 comments:

  1. I have the same opinion from you about what is a traveler and what is a tourist. When you said that "the experiences, the way of thinking of the characters and the decisions that they make, influence their position as traveler or a tourist..." make me realized that it is the same thing that happen to us every time we visit someplace new. It made me thought of how much our decisions influence the way we perceive a new place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you in the way that you describe the differences between been a tourist and been a traveler. I also found great landscapes on the movie which also has a good plot. I think that you know very well how to analyze movies, so from you I would a accept movie recommendation... ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought about the painting that he changed in the hotel! It is so true what you said. He wanted to make himself as home and I think this is very important when traveling! I think he changed Lucy's vision of traveling to a more open and fantastic way of views. I like how you said that a true traveler wants to be a part of the place he or she is visiting and a tourist is simply an observer. I very much agree with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have describe a tourist and a traveler exactly as I would have. What would you consider yourself, a tourist or a traveler? I totally agree on that Daisy Miller is a tourist. I never thought of Lucy as transforming herself into a traveler at the end of the journey, but it is a nice way of seeing it.

    ReplyDelete