Now that I finished my journal, I have noticed
some changes that I think they are significant. One of the things I could
notice was how the amount of words I write changed during the process of
writing almost every day for 8 weeks. At the beginning, when 10 minutes had
passed, I was writing on the middle of a page, but at the end of my journal I
noticed that I was writing almost 2 whole pages in the same amount of time.
Another thing that I noticed was about my way of writing. I usually write
pretty tiny and fastened, but through the course of writing in the journal my
writing was changing, was getting bigger and more separate. Also, I consider
myself as an extremely right brain person, so when I started to write in the
journal it was very structural, but at the end it was more random and less
structured.
Other aspect in which I could see a change
during the creation of my journal was an improvement in trying not to break the
rules. When I started writing in the journal I was tempted to break all the
rules such as, cross out, be aware about the spelling and grammar, think about
what to write, stop writing, among others. I think this temptation to break the
rules come from my trend to be a right brain person, because it makes me think
about what I am writing and it does not let me write freely. Not to break the
rules was the hardest thing to do during the process, because I am used to
over-think every single word I that comes to me in order to make an excellent
work or get a good grade.
Other thing we did as part of our journals were
the Life Compass activity, in which we made a compass and we wrote how we felt
in the spiritual, physical, emotional and mental way in each cardinal point. We
also wrote a number from 1 to 3 to each category, to describe how we were doing
that day and then we got a total number for that day, so at the end we could
analyze if there was a trend from the beginning to the end. In my case, I did
not find any trend, but my totals were constants. However, I think this technique
is a good way to organize my thoughts and to figure out what kind of things are
making me feel happy or making me feel worried about. Also, I think it helped
me to prioritize my needs according to how I was feeling, so it allowed me to work
on them to try to feel better.
In the case of my internal journey, I have to
say that this activity, of making a first thoughts journal, was very useful,
because it allowed me to reflect about my experiences. I saw this activity as a
moment to get relax and to let my brain unburden and empty all the information
it had taken during the day. At the beginning, I thought about it as a simple
homework, so working on it was like an obligation, but during the course of
this activity I changed my mind and I noticed I was feeling more comfortable
writing in the journal. I think that writing almost every day about the experiences
I had, made me being more aware about how significant these experiences were in
my life.
I also include a pictures of the front and back cover of my Journey Journal, respectively.



Hello... Something very similar happened to me about the length of every entry. I stop a lot when writing at the beginning but then I learned to manage better the writing skills so I ended up writing approximately page and a half but I would never imagine that someone would improve so much. That is amazing!
ReplyDeleteI have to say that I love the decoration you made to your journal.. I like a lot the crazy way you pasted all the pictures and that you appear in almost all of them. Also the words you included make's it look very interesting. By what you wrote, I can say that your experience doing the journal is very similar to mine. As you did, I also change my opinion at the end of the activity about this activity.
ReplyDeleteLike you, I'm very structured and like to have a plan. So, at first it was very hard, but then it helped me to be more free and write whatever I wanted. I can see you improved a lot by liberating that control and writing more than you were used to!
ReplyDeleteThis activity definitely was really positive to all of us. I think it is a very good thing that you learned to let go a little from the structure that you have in your life. Like you, I used this journal as an escape and as a way to liberate mi mind. Btw, I really like your decorations! :)
ReplyDelete